According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, there are at least 1 million motor vehicle accidents involving large wildlife each year, killing 200 people, injuring 29,000 and causing more than $1 billion in property damage. All I have t do at my newly replaced picture window in my office and see small groups of mule deer walking across my lawn, pausing to have a snack on my landscaping before proceeding across the road.
1. Watch out for wet leaves: Once leaves fall to the ground, they become wet and create slippery roadways, similar to icy conditions. They can also get stuck to windshields and wipers and prevent drivers from seeing properly. Slow down on roads with leaves (especially on turns); be sure to remove all leaves from the windshield before driving and avoid parking under trees if possible.
2. Be mindful of the light: We lose one minute of daylight every day until Daylight Savings ends in a few days. The fading light of dusk often makes it difficult to see pedestrians, children or wildlife. Turn on your headlights earlier and reduce your speed.
3. Watch out for Frost: In many parts of the country, Autumn can be damp, rainy and/or foggy and this moisture can quickly turn into frost overnight. Drive slowly in the mornings, particularly when crossing bridges or overpasses, as these tend to frost quicker than other areas.
4. Drive with low beams in fog: A common mistake drivers make is to turn on their high beams in foggy conditions. This aims the light high and into the fog, when your light should be low and hitting the road.
5. Keep headlights clean: Over time, headlights become yellow, foggy and scratched due to environmental elements like UV rays and road debris. Not sure if your headlights are in need of repair? A simple look at the car in daylight and examining the headlights for one or more of these will help you determine if they need restoration:
- The lenses look milky, foggy or yellow
- You can’t see the bulb through the lens
- The lenses are scratched or scarred
Quixx’ Headlight Lens Restorer Kit & Sealer can restore headlights back to 95% of their original clarity. The all-in-one-box solution includes everything necessary to achieve professional results, allowing you to repair your vehicle’s plastic lens surfaces at a fraction of the cost of replacing them.